OPGA Offers up to $20,000 for Propane Vehicles / Mower Rebates, $1,000 for Filling Station
I. Propane Vehicles and Lawn Mowers
The Ohio Propane Gas Association (OPGA) is offering Ohio propane customers $4,000 rebates, up to $20,000, for the purchase of new propane vehicles, new propane vehicle conversions or new propane lawn mowers or mower conversions. Propane companies and their employees are also eligible to apply. Rebates are available first come, first serve, while funding lasts.
Vehicle qualifications (EPA approved engines / conversions) include:
- Vehicle registered and operated in Ohio
- New OEM propane vehicles
- New propane conversion vehicles (current model year or previous model year with less than 15,000 miles)
- New propane OEM lawn mower
- New propane converted mower (less than 250 hours)
Funding qualifications include:
- Limit of five (5) rebates per single entity
- All eligible purchases or propane retrofit installations must occur within 2023, as program closes Dec. 31, 2023
- Before receiving an OPGA Autogas rebate, all federal and state incentives must be applied, and funds may be used for incremental cost of propane vehicle vs. gasoline or diesel vehicle only.
- A completed initial survey and final survey is required for each vehicle incentive
- Recipient agrees to maintain and submit a report one-year after rebate received:
- Miles driven for vehicles or hours used for mowers
- Gallons of propane used
- Anecdotal performance characteristics
- 50% rebate funds disbursed after initial survey, 50% rebate funds disbursed at final survey
(The OPGA uses data for vehicle performance vs. gasoline)
II. Propane Autogas Dispenser
Entities within Ohio that install an Autogas (over-the-road propane motor fuel) refueling dispenser—open to the public—are eligible for a $1,000 rebate.
Funding qualifications include:
- refueling site must be built to comply with all local codes and standards
- must include quick nozzles
- One (1) award per site
- submit half-page application, site plan and required research survey
- Vehicle Information
- Applicant information
- Propane Marketer information
- Attach invoice for new propane vehicle or propane retrofit system
Return completed application in one-of-three ways:
- Email to: OPGA@kdafirm.com
- Fax to: (517) 485-9408
- Mail to:
605 N. High St. #214
Columbus, OH 43215
Deadline: April 13, 2023
Includes propane transit buses and infrastructure. The federal share of eligible capital costs is 80 percent of the net capital project cost, unless the grant recipient requests a lower percentage.
Low-No/Bus Grant Program
COMING SOON – TBD
Includes propane vehicles. Eligible diesel vehicles, engines and equipment include: School buses, Class 5 – Class 8 heavy-duty highway vehicles, Locomotive engines, Marine engines, Non-road engines, equipment or vehicles used in construction, handling of cargo (including at ports or airports), agriculture, mining or energy production (including stationary generators and pumps).
Ohio chemistry teacher explains the the benefits of propane fuel. There are over 31,000 propane vehicles like these in Ohio alone. The EPA says propane vehicles are the most widely used alternative fuel in America.